Wednesday 12 August 2009

It's a good day for flying

Dear friends,

we're alive! Interviews, texts and new ideas for the next issue are in progress. So don't worry. We're just on holiday and travelling around and soon we're moving up to Glasgow. So the theme for this post will of course be;

Diana's top 5 travel-songs:

1. Belle & Sebastian - Seymour Stein
Every time I'm about to take the plane somewhere I'm always listening to this song. It helps me to relax a bit, since I'm terrible afraid of flying. To hear Stevie Jackson's calm voice about something he's missing and that he's on his way somewhere and the fact he is singing "it's a good day for flying" just make this song my obviously number 1 travel song.

2. Håkan Hellström - En vän med en bil (translated "a friend with a car")
Håkan Hellström is a swedish singer and one of my old times heroes. He followed me through my teenaged period and have since then not been able to leave me alone. Or me not been able to let him go. "A friend with a car" is the second song from his first album, "Känns ingen sorg för mig Göteborg" ( translated "Don't feel sad for me Gothenburg"). This song contains everything between freedom, on the way somewhere, you and your friends, happiness, neverending summer nights and music festivals. The perfect first song on your festival mix tape. To play loud and singing along in the car on the way to the freedom-feeling.

3. Beirut - Postcards from Italy
Postcard to a lover from someone far away. When you're missing something/someone you left at home. That's the feeling and the back side of being away.

4. The Pastels - Truck train tractor
When you're listening to this song is like you're on a train together with The Pastels. The sound of a train and Stephen's and the others 't-t-t-t-t-t'. There's so many things in the songs that just make you wanna be on the road, dancing and smiling.

5. Talulah Gosh - Steaming train
"I'm on a steaming train and I'm driving into your heart".
I guess that's all I can say about this song. I mean, even if the sound is so typical up-tempo-twee-talulah, the lyrics is in the same time quite sad.
It reminds me a bit of a friend that went out in Europe for an interrail one summer and before she left a guy she been dating for a while asked if they were a couple. Guess he wanted to be sure they were feeling the same and that she wouldn't meet other boys out in Europe. You see my point about it?


No comments:

Post a Comment